Monday, June 21, 2010

Designer of The Week - Malin de Koning

Each Monday we feature the Designer of the Week. One of our editors pick their favorite from the Monthly Challenge entries. This week's featured designer is Malin de Koning !


ABS editor Shannon LeVart had this to say about Malin's entry for this week's challenge: "You may think me biased here. You may think all you need to do is name something Shannon and I will call it my favorite, but you are incorrect! I scanned the entries for this week noting something I like about each piece, bookmarking them in the order of my preference. But this piece pulled at my heart strings before I saw my own components included in its lay-out, before I saw it carried my name sake.

It quite simply made me feel like dancing. Yes, I wanted to put a big pink flower in my hair and with bosoms heaving, do some fancy foot work for the entertainment of a crowd with proper posture.

The painting by Lautrec contains rich, deep colors that contrast with the swirling pink of the dancers skirt. I feel Malin studied these colors intently in order to include so many of them in her bracelet and the way she evolved the almond blossom beads from March's challenge into a new purpose for this months challenge was invigorating!"

Please visit Malin at her blog and view more of her work at her flickr photostream.

12 comments:

mairedodd said...

yay malin!! i really love this piece too... all of the contrasts make it so very interesting and beautiful... congratulations!

Unknown said...

So beautiful! Congratulations Maliin!

Alice said...

Oh my gosh, this is a gorgeous piece! The colors and textures come together perfectly and represent the inspiration painting so well.

TesoriTrovati said...

I agree! This does make me feel like dancing a giddy dance with the heady scent of blossoms on the breeze. Well done! Well chosen!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Stories They Tell said...

This is an inspired interpretation of the painting! It is gorgeous! If I were wearing this I would certainly feel like dancing! Good pick, Shannon.

Jeannie said...

Lots of texture and great color.
Congratulations! It's a winner.

Mary T Designs said...

I love this piece! Great choice.

Barbara Lewis said...

Malin is so talented. This is just another example of her creative genius!

Eve said...

Lovely isn't it. It grabs my eye. Very very pretty.

Ginny Henley said...

Oh Malin, you have such a wonderful ability to bring pieces together that I never could have related. This is stunning and you deserve every accolade you get.

Ginny Henley

Malin de Koning said...

Thank you so much Shannon and everyone else. I am a overwhelmed.

LissC said...

this piece is fantastic! so adorable!