Thursday, June 10, 2010

Fly your Beads to Space with Tenara Cording

I would like very much to introduce a new stringing cord that virtually guarantees you will not have to replace it....EV-ER. In fact, this thread is so durable it can go into space.
 I first learned of Tenara cording through one of my favorite jewelry designers, Jes Maharry. One of her necklaces contained tiny weaving's of a very fine thread. Upon reading the description, I put together that it was called gore-tex tenara cording and promptly set out to purchase some for myself. Well, that was easier said then done. I could not find it any where! What was this elusive tenara that Jes found worthy enough to string her fine jewels on but could not be found in any bead store?


 I couldn't find it in bead stores because it isn't in bead stores, it is being used to sew astronaut suits and marina sails and restaurant awnings. It is a mildew/sun/uv resistant, water repellent, rot proof, resistant to most chemicals thread. It is also pre-lubricated, making the task of knotting extremely easy.
 I had to invest in a spool. In spite of its cost, I just had to. I am so glad I did.
 Not only can I rest assured I am offering my customers the most durable thread ever created, but for my own personal use, I have found  that it easily threads through large, hollow, altered art metal beads which were previously a little maddening to string.

 The stiff thread acts as its own needle, pushing through small holed beads with ease. To use it's fine thread size, double knot each knot you place after a larger holed bead or use small spacers. You can also double up on your thread if need be. The necklace above consists of Oregon Opal that had minute holes I could not fit over wire. Tenara cording not only fit through the Opal but also tiny chips of turquoise and large hollow, African brass that had rough edges around their holes. I do not have to worry about the rough edges of the larger beads wearing the cord down, it is that durable!

 To finish off your tenara cording, just complete a double over hand knot and place a drop of epoxy or jewelers cement on the knot. Let the epoxy set completely and trim close to the knot with scissors. Just as you would with silk or nylon thread. The difference? You will only have to do this once for this piece of jewelry, not every 12 months like you need to in order to maintain a knotted silk cording.

 So while I doubt my beaded jewelry will be orbiting the moon any time soon, at least I know it could.
Much Love and Respect,
Shannon

missficklemedia.com

6 comments:

jeannie said...

Gore Tex has been around A LONG TIME. The Olympic skiers use it.

I live in Minnesota and my winter running gear is made of this stuff so I know it's very strong and durable...and lightweight.

I can atest to the cord, it's unbelievably durable. A friend of my is married to an astronant.

Pretty Things said...

What a pretty necklace!

Cindy said...

Thanks for introducing us to this cording. I had never heard of it and it really looks great.

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

wow! how innovative to offer it this way!!! I am always afraid my strund necklaces or bracelets will break so I stick with wire most of the time. This is great!!!

jean xox

Unknown said...

Fascinating! Thanks for sharing about it. I am curious, just what IS the cost for a spool of this amazing stuff?

jewelry supplies said...

I heard about your blog from somebody on our Facebook page and I thought I would check it out. Thank you so much for this information, I thought it was fantastic!