Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Bead Biz- Opening a Gallery -The Fun Part

This is my third post in my Opening a Gallery Series. This is what I think is the fun part of owning a gallery. What to sell and how to display it. It is more challenging than I expected. I like to make everything. I am still finding out that sometimes you have to buy displays and products, let me explain...


I started out making absolutely everything in my gallery. Painted pottery, wall hangings, ornaments, jewelry, etc. Seemed like a great idea at the time but first of all I found that folks coming into my store were crafty. They were buying buttons, fabric, and beads to make things of their own. I found that customers wanted beading wire and clasps to string a necklace. Hmm, I couldn't make that. When you are providing things for your customers you can't just provide what you want and make. Since opening I have added beading necessities, accent beads, trims, and embellishments to compliment my work. And as a side note the gallery is expanding as we speak and I am going to have even more, unique supplies to go with my work. You will find your customers will guide you to what they want. You will then know what to provide.

Displays are another thing I wanted to make. First of all not to look like every other stores and second to save money. No one wants to spend money on displays. You can see some of the pieces I built here and here. Sometimes though it's best to display things on a spinner rack. You don't want your display to over power what your selling.

Once you get everything made, bought, priced, tagged, displayed....

You are ready to open for business. I have one more post in the Opening a Gallery series and it's about getting customers.

Have a great day!
Jennifer Heynen a.k.a. Jennifer Jangles


6 comments:

LissC said...

I just love your studio! So bright and fun!

SummersStudio said...

Ah, this is great! I think the one of take homes is that you don't necessarily want your display to overwhelm the product. That probably applies to doing shows as well.

Menka Gupta said...

yeah, very colorful!

Jennifer Jangles said...

You're right, most of the points I have made about the store opening could be applied to doing shows. I have been collecting displays for the past ten years and they are all black or white. This way I usually have something on hand for displaying an item.

somethingunique said...

Hi Jennifer, i just love all of your tips & just crazy about your store...would love to pop in one day if i'm ever in the.... neighborhood!!
ttfn Lana :)

JeannieK said...

Oh Jennifer, I love those mugs. Do you sell them?