Tuesday, February 21, 2012

UK Art Bead Artisans

As the International Bead Correspondent for Art Bead Scene (that's an unofficial title that I've given myself), I am here today to bring you some bead news from overseas! (Apart from if you're reading this in the UK, in which case I am your Local Bead Correspondent.)

As a lover of Etsy (and who isn't?), I frequently buy from overseas, particularly the USA and Canada. I love that I can communicate directly with designers and makers literally thousands of miles away, and buy straight from them. I love thinking of the individual artist sitting in their studio all that way around the world from me, packing up beads they have created by hand, and sending them on, directly to me. It's amazing that websites such as Etsy have opened up such possibilities for us all. And although international shipping can be daunting, it's actually surprisingly simple and easy to buy from many places abroad. I have limited experience of it, but I have bought from all over Europe, North America, Australia and China, and not had any more problems with postage than I would expect from online shopping confined to the UK. Bear in mind customs regulations (larger orders may require you to pay a charge) and the world really is just one giant art bead market!

However, I also love that on Etsy I can track down local bead artists and designers. Shopping direct and shopping local are two things that I like to do when I can. I've gathered a selection of artists together in this, my first ever Etsy Treasury (let's just say, it took me a while...). I plan on making some more treasuries featuring designers and makers from all over Europe, as well as these below who are more directly local to me. Hopefully my treasury making skills will speed up too...!

'UK Art Beads, Findings and Beyond' by songbead

A selection of beads, ribbons, findings and buttons by some of the UK's wonderful artisans.

SowZerE - Let's Dance -...
$7.20
5 buzzy bee beads
$8.00
Bird bead. Handmade lampwork...
$18.00
Juicy Fruit Drops - Bead Set
$30.00
Moogin beads -kimono silk ro...
$39.00
Sunspots Buttons .. handmade...
$15.00
Medium Oxidised Sterling Sil...
$12.50
Sunrise Sparkle Nuggets Trio...
$15.00
Copper Toggle Clasp - Prom P...
$9.00
Bag of mixed handmade cerami...
$32.00
Ornamentum Antiqua. Handmade...
$30.00
Lampwork Sra Purple Haze Foc...
$10.00
Feathered Lampwork bead set ...
$35.00
Owl bead 65
$9.00
Handmade Ceramic Beads Set i...
$11.00
Headpins - Raspberry Ripple-...
$6.00


Rebecca is a Scottish jewellery designer and singer, currently living in Manchester, England. You can read more about beads and singing at her blog, songbeads.blogspot.com and see more of her jewellery at songbead.etsy.com.

9 comments:

Malin de Koning said...

Yum Rebecca!

Anonymous said...

So good to hear from a UK artist as my daughter is currently living in London. Love your choices in the Treasury. Might be finding some new favorites there. Thank you for your insights on international shopping as well.

Pips said...

What a beautiful treasury, and I have found some new Etsy shops local to me through it Yay!

I too love that Etsy is so international, the thought that beads that I have made are winging their way all over the world is incredible and humbling too. I have "met" so many lovely artists and bead fanatics through Etsy and blogging! Love it! Thank you so much for posting, really enjoyed reading it, off to check out those new Etsy shops now!

Cillaw said...

Great Post Today! So nice to see "new" artists!
A great theme to carry on. How about one for Canada and Australia and Germany and Spain etc...

ShadeTree Studio said...

This is giving me bead lust! They are so pretty!

Jo said...

Oooh! Some of my favourite UK etsy shops, and some new ones to explore too! Thank you for including my silver daisy clasp.

TesoriTrovati said...

I love that the world is shrinking in terms of commerce like Etsy. I love like you do that I can connect with a bead artist half a world away and get some really amazing things I never would have found close to home. And I love that you just introduced me to a dozen or so new-to-me artists. Thank you! Enjoy the day, International Bead Correspondent!
Erin

Cindy said...

Wow, Wow, Wow!!! You have introduced me to some new (to me) artists..thanks for the great line up, Rebecca!

Pamela770 said...

Love love love this treasury!
Please have more art bead treasury posts, it makes it easier for us to shop for cool unique things :)

~Pamela