Thursday, September 13, 2012

Book Review: Necklaceology

Candie Cooper's latest book, Necklaceology, arrived on my doorstep yesterday.  The cover had me intrigued for weeks and I couldn't wait to see what awaited within.

Just like the title suggests, Candie has brought design lessons and techniques to school us on all things necklace-related.  The projects range from simple designs for a beginner, to complex multi-layered and collaged designs that are signature Candie Cooper pieces.

The author offers design alternatives and suggestions to push the reader to explore their own ideas and shared her sketches of her design.  It's not just necklaces, there are tips and tricks that caught my eye like a tutorial on making Tibetan inspired ribbon beads and how to make your own fabric covered cording that is deceptively simple. Candie brings on the DIY for clever ways to customize your jewelry and components throughout the book. 

I would look at each necklace in the book like a lesson to study - what technique is being presented, how could you interpret the design into your own style and of course - what art bead would best be showcased with this technique.  Most of the projects use beads you could find in your local craft store or bead shop, making it more accessible to beginners or those on a budget.

Here are two designs I sketched up inspired by projects in the book.

The first necklace is inspired by the necklace Pod.  I love the use of briolettes mixed with dangles to create an interesting pendant of gems.  I would have never thought of using briolettes that way - the stone shape always intrigues and this design is a great reason to finally pull of my stash!  I would match it up with a few of my new leaf headpins and a vintage chain.  (Headpins from Humblebeads.  Sunstone briolettes from Penelope Gemstone.)

The next necklace is very loosely inspired by her coral Scarlet necklace and mix of her Marie Antoinette design.  This necklace creates dangles using stones and wire. In the book Candie used stones in between the dangles, I would use these tiny faceted brass cubes for sparkle and interest.  I would finish the necklace with a luscious sari silk ribbon.  (Pendant from Humblebeads. Faceted cubes from Sharon Unlimited. Ruby zoisite from Moonlighte.

Mix and match techniques in the projects to get even more inspiration millage out of this highly recommended book!  Pull out your bead stash and see what you can come up with Necklaceology as your guide.

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

This book looks AWESOME - thanks for reviewing it for us here Heather! I love your little spreadsheets here - I know both of these pieces will work beautifully. And your new leaf headpins......gorgeous. Hopping over to amazon to check out how much I need to save up now.....

SummersStudio said...

I just had a look inside the book. The techniques alone are awesome. Like how you interpreted the book designs and made them your own. Great review!

TesoriTrovati said...

Oh I will most certainly put this book on my wish list!

Ashleigh Becker said...

Cool designs!

Malin de Koning said...

I am just drooling over your new headpins Heather!!!! And I agree with you on the fun way of using briolettes. Both designs you have scetched up look great! Beautiful!

Candie Cooper said...

Thanks for the awesome review! My favorite part was seeing your sketches and design inspiration.
Thank you over and over. :)

Leigh said...

I have this book and agree that the technique ideas are very creative! I cannot wait to try some of them out.