Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Wholesale Tips

Have you thought about selling your jewelry to shops or galleries?  I am working on a wholesale line and have been doing lots of research.  Here are some of my favorite resources.
  • Flourish and Thrive Academy - lots of great tips and a series to download if you subscribe to their mailing list. 
  • Indie Retail Academy - a good resource if you are just starting out or not sure how to approach shops.
  • If you have your jewelry line designed but aren't sure what to do next, check out this great list of policies and line sheet information.  This was so helpful as I prepare to debut my line.
A simple wholesale checklist:
1. Identify your perfect customer/niche market.
2. Create your collection samples - you'll want signature pieces, a cohesive body of work, and designs that are easy to reproduce.
3. Photograph your work: crisp, clear photos on white backgrounds and 'glamour' shots on models and with props to brand your work.
4. Source supplies.
5. Work out your pricing and financing.
6. Create your policies and terms.
7. Create a line sheet. 
8. Create a website to showcase your line.
9. Create your list of dream clients.
10. Contact buyers/shops to set up appointments or to send your sales packet.

3 comments:

Cyndi J said...

Even though I don't have any plans for a wholesale line, I've been enjoying these posts and watching your progress as you get read to launch your wholesale line.

SummersStudio said...

Thank you, this is great information and great resources.

Kimisjewelryandgifts said...

thank you for the info. I have my items in a gallery and a shop that sells beads and some finished items. I found most gallerys here in Petoskey want 50% of profit. Plus a monthly feel of $20 or more a month for having you items there. I think this is way to much. I luckily found the bead shop that allows artits to see on consignment and other things. I have been contacted by a few companys in the Uk to sell wholesale but the discount they want is really unfair it is almost 75% less than what im asking. Would not cover the costs of material. I have not actually tried to ask anyone in other areas if they allow items in their gallerys. I should do that. Ill have to put my list togeher with your direction and see how it goes. Thanks so much for sharing the information. Now I know where to start. :)