Friday, September 11, 2015

Inside the Studio with Rebecca of Songbead

Each week one of our contributors gives you a sneak peek into their studio, creative process or inspirations. We ask a related question of our readers and hope you'll leave comments! As an incentive, we offer a prize each week to bribe you to use that keyboard and tell us what you think. The following week a winner is chosen at random from all eligible entries.

Congratulations to Carolyn on winning a $15 voucher from Claire! 
Contact her to claim your prize! 

*********


Hello all! It's my turn at Inside the Studio once again - I have had to search back to see what I posted about last time, and even though it was a mere 2 months back, SO much has happened since then for me! I've had a jam-packed summer. Having said that, I kind of told you all about that in my last post - in a 'what's coming up for me next' kind of way. 3 weeks of contemporary opera down in England - check. 3 week craft fair back home in Edinburgh - check. Making lots of jewellery and not getting enough sleep - check! 

And since finishing, I've actually been very organised for me - new load of czech glass beads arrived, photographed and loaded into The Curious Bead Shop:

I'm ready for Autumn colours if not Autumnal weather - can you tell?!

I also managed to photograph and upload almost all of the jewellery I had left over from the fair. Seriously, I don't think I've *ever* managed to achieve this before about mid-November before. Go me! Check out these lovelies, almost all listed in the shop now (if you're after earrings, it's the place to go!):





But rather than rehash all of the past few months, I thought I'd, again, give you a sort of preview of what's coming up for me. I thought I'd share with you some of the rather delicious art beads which I've treated myself to over the past month or so. I always do slightly indulge during the fair - it's the time of year when I sell the most jewellery and so it feels sort of justified. Right? (Right?!) It was also a pretty tough 7 week schedule for me and so I figured I deserved a treat or seven...And really, who doesn't like a bead eye candy post? 








Yep, I kind of went to town, didn't I?! Let's just hope I can turn it into jewellery! It's nice to have a good old splurge once in a while. 

Tell me, who's your favourite art bead artist to splurge on when you get the chance? Leave your answer in the comments below to win a £10 (just over $15) voucher for either Songbead or The Curious Bead Shop! Tune in next Friday to see who the lucky winner is. 


Rebecca is a Scottish jewellery designer; currently living in the capital city of Edinburgh. You can read more about her and her work at her blog, songbeads.blogspot.com and see more of her jewellery at songbead.etsy.com. She also has a supplies shop at thecuriousbeadshop.etsy.com.




23 comments:

Saraccino said...

Uh... that is difficult... There are some I am fighting for, on top for a long time now Julie Wong Sontag from uglibeads and Kimberly Rogers from Numinosity Beads. Both have a organic and rustic beautiful style, every bead telling its own story! :)

Mokki said...

I love humble beads. I wish I could afford to splurge on a whole lotta beads from that shop!

BeadQueen87 said...

Wow lots of gorgeous goodies here! My favourite art bead artist? That's a tough one! At the moment I can't get enough of Grubbi but I also have a massive stash of Bo Hulley Beads too I really must start making a dent in it all! I have so many artists spread over two big bead boxes it's total heaven some times I just like to sit and look at it all lol I would love to win and indulge in some of your new delicious beads :) xx

Claire Lockwood said...

Wow - love those acid-coloured lampies! Off to check out that shop. Now I wanna win...

Bijoux Gems Joy said...

That's a nice little haul of art beads that you got for yourself. Everyone needs to do that once in a while. My once in a while became an almost 2 month spree!... Now I have to create to justify it. :-)

It's pretty much impossible for me to name one favourite artist, so I'll go with one for each major art bead medium ;-)
Lampwork - definitely Susan Kennedy of SueBeads. I love the character she puts into her beads
Clay of any "mud" type - Lesley Watt of Thea Elements who also brings to mind little characters running around
Polymer Clay - Heather Powers of HumbleBeads whose versatility and ability to invoke and reflect nature never cease to amaze me
Metal - Kristi Bowman of Kristi Bowman Design. Her metal elements make great supporting backgrounds and also stand out on their own

Thanks for sharing some of your favourites
Mona

Unknown said...

Lovely selection of beads and components...I especially like the Outwest ones!

For me,it would have to be Claire Lockwood of Something to do Beads.I have a rather large stash of her wonderfully unique beads that I know I should use but,I really want to keep them all!

Heather Wynn Millican said...

Such great company to be in! Thank you :)
I have SO many beady favorites that it would be excruciating to narrow down my list.
I have always been a HUGE fan of Anne Choi beads and would spend my entire show allowance at her table!
I have yet to purchase but I would be over the moon to own an Eva Thissen beauty, in particular, one of her beads from the Story of a little girl Collection. so sweet.

Deb Fortin said...

wow such gorgeous treasures and all justified by the 7 week frenzy.
I don't have a favourite art bead artist . but I did receive some lovely bluberri beads in a swap and I've saved *cough - hoarded * them for personal jewellery. I've recently started following uglibeads on her blog and they are NOT ugly at all. so those would be my two for now - more to come I'm sure

baymoondesign said...

I love so many! Lesley Watt is an artist that I admire. She has tires to the ocean and I do to. Her ceramics are wonderful. I love her work.

Unknown said...

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SerenaSmithLampwork
one of my new ones

Sarajo Wentling said...

There are so many talented bead artists that I love to splurge on but if my Bead Fest shopping is any indicator, I have to go with Heather Powers! I just had a two day art bead earring making binge and pretty much all of them featured something from Humblebeads... be it disc beads or charms or matchstick pairs. But really, I want ALL the beads. That's normal, right?

shelleykatsh@gmail.com said...

Thanks for this opportunity!
Mary Harding... A favorite, and Humblebeads. And several more...
Shelley
Shelleykatsh@gmail.com
"Something's Gotta Give..." handmade
jewelry that pays it forward

Soul Silver said...

Lovely post Rebecca, you've got some gorgeous beads there, I love the leaf, is it enamelled?

Klassy Joolz said...

Your post is lovely...so many pretties! I have a lot of favorites as well. I love Kim Snider's Lampwork beads. I purchase from many different Artisans. I like to support and promote as many Artisans as possible.

BluMoon said...

I enjoyed reading your post thank you for sharing some of your favourites. A tricky one as I like so many bead makers. Some of my latest buys are from Linda at Earthshinebeads she sells on Etsy, also Laura Critchfield of Chestnutridgedesigns Etsy again!

Denise said...

There are so many I like! Lately, I've been on a lampwork glass kick and would splurge on NaOs glass beads.

Rebecca said...

Thank you everyone! Sally, the leaf is actually a tagua nut slab with the feather design stained on. They are even more wonderful in real life!

Dawn Gatehouse - Jewellery Designer said...

I have quite a few favourites and find it impossible to choose one so here's my list. Bo Hulley, Blueberribeads, Pips, Helen Chalmers, Lesley Watts. I have quite a stash of Art Beads form all of these.

Anonymous said...

Not easy because there are so many!
Greybirdstudio - sweet Rey's shop, located in the beautiful Isle of Skye.
Bashabeads - they are truly unique.
Uglibeads - my sweet friend Julie Wong Sontag
Numinosity - Kimberly Rogers constantly comes up with never seen before designs.
Ragged Robyn - excellent quality ceramic beads, a staple in my designs.
Scorched Earth on Etsy - love Petra's brain for constantly coming up with weird and wonderful designs!

And yes Rebecca - splurging is ALWAYS okay!

Kirstyjess said...

Fab question! I'd have to say bo hulley beads then blueberri beads and scorched earth :-)

Unknown said...

Love those little houses!😍

Jess Green said...

It's gotta be Moogin Mindy - her beads are spectacular :) I'm pretty in love with Lori Lochner as well, but the international shipping fees are a bit of a stinger!!

Carolyn said...

I like almost any art bead but your beaded beads, Lisa Anderson's lampwork beads and Heather Powell's beads are some of my favorites.

Loved seeing your new art beads.

Carolyn
Carolynscreations@live.com