Friday, May 14, 2010

From the Beadmaker's Table: Miss Fickle Media

From One Little Piece of Coral
This is a piece of coral my son found on the beach in Florida in 2007. It is an extraordinary piece of coral in that it reminds me of that precious time and floods me with wonderful memories each time I look at it. I remember the feeling of contentment and peace of mind seeing my family enjoy the sand, sun and ocean.

I first used it to create a mold. Something I do with almost every 3D trinket I own cause you never know what is going to make a really cool clay thing-a-ma-bober. 

From that mold I created this simple but unique pendant;

But I also found that by just using the top section of the coral I could create this very interesting crackle effect in beads;

The sides of the coral added a nice texture to the edge of these clay discs;

And the back of the coral creates this texture;

I am thrilled to get so many uses out of one item! It has opened my eyes to looking at every little object with potential for so much more. A change of position and color of paint and I have a seemingly endless way to decorate polymer clay art beads!

Much Love & Respect,
Shannon
missficklemedia.com

15 comments:

Flowermouse Design ❀ Lone said...

Very creative and such a lovely pattern!!

TesoriTrovati said...

How beautiful! What an amazing find, and such a stunning array of uses. Inspiration truly is everywhere! Makes me kick myself for not buying those beads when I just placed my order. Dang. Next time then! Thanks for sharing. Enjoy the day! Erin

Jeannie said...

Awesome Blossom! Those disks would look great with this months challenge.
I know what you mean about keeping your eyes open for potential objects.
Designing and Art has changed the way I look at the world! I was lucky to have this happen at a very young age.

Anonymous said...

Amazing what creative flair and ingenuity can create.

Malin de Koning said...

Wow - how strange - i have just been roaming around my house for things to create structures in polymer clay with. The table is all set up and as soon as Arabella, my 6 1/2 daughter arrives, we shall start creating. Any minute now!

Unfortunately i didn't have any coral at home. But you inspired me greatly anyway, as always.

cindydolezaldesigns said...

Very cool. I love to reuse things for different purposes. Any time I walk with my husband I am always picking things up off the ground. He used to quiz me about why I would pick up each thing, now he just shrugs.

Claire Maunsell said...

Oh you are such a woman after my own heart - how you described your experience is the way I look at every little thing now! Walking in the forest can be very slow for this reason, but so also can a visit to a thrift shop and for the same reason!

And then there's the stuff in my pockets at the end of the day....

Nadia Her said...

J'aime beaucoup votre imagination et vos créations, toutes plus belles les unes que les autres!

Beatnheart said...

These are lovely.. I need to know more about clay. I am so interested but don't know the ins and outs. I have old sculpey clap but it seems to break apart and bakes to a dark grey color..also how do you make the mold?? do you need a mold for everything?

Cindy said...

Great ideas. I love that pendant, and the way you've gotten different textures from your beautiful piece of coral. I'm off to examine my beach finds to see what I can make now! Or maybe some thick bark pieces would also be good. Thanks for sharing your inspiration.

Kella said...

So many uses and so many designs, wonderful.

Christine said...

Great beads. It's wonderful when you discover multiple uses from one find. Very interesting!

Azure Accessories said...

Great work...truly an inspiration to those who've never worked in such a medium!

Cheers

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor said...

Hey what a second, it looks different around here! Wow, thought I was at the wrong site for a minute. Love the new look guys!

Your style as always Shannon is so organic and cool looking. These gorgeous creations are no exception!!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much! I would love to see what some designers do with the new metal coated patina-ted beads I am making.