Thursday, May 27, 2010

Top 10 Bead Show Tips

As I prepare for Bead & Button and having my first booth this year, I'm also making a strategy for my shopping experience.  I thought I'd share a few tips with you that I learned from last year.

1. Have a budget - I know I just heard someone laugh, but seriously unless money is no object you can get into major trouble without a budget.

2. Have a list - make a list of materials or projects supplies you are planning to hunt down.

3. Have a plan - make a list of the beadmakers or shops you have to visit

3. A good pair of shoes - seriously, it's a lot of walking.

4. A good friend - to help you stay out of trouble and to share your best treasures.

5. Have a strategy - buy your art beads and rare finds the first day.  Look for deals the second day.

6. Impulses are not your friend - ask yourself: can I order this at home or will it add too much bulk to my suitcases if I'm flying.

7. Replenish - have water, you really will need it.

8. Bring business cards - this is a great time to network.

9. Bring a camera - you'll want pictures of you and your new friends and photos from the show.

10. Be kind to yourself - let's face it #1 will be blown the first day unless you have super human bead buying powers.  Bring a credit card or have a back up funds for your travel expenses.

12 comments:

Marie Cramp said...

Great Advise! I don't think that the local bead show will be quite that big, but still great things to think about :)

TesoriTrovati said...

Is it me laughing at you?
(I promise I didn't snort, though ;-)
And having a friend really does help! If left to my own devices last year I would have wandered aimlessly and bought things I really didn't need. It is hard to resist the lure of shiny things. But having my good friend there to show me where I should spend my money wisely and bouncing ideas off her was priceless.

Enjoy the day! (cannot wait)
Erin

Until We Bead Again, Beth Murr said...

Budget...that's a tough word. Just ask the International Bead Show in Washington, DC. I spent way too much money there one year. Also had a great time visiting the Bead Museum there.

Azure Accessories said...

They are all great tips...ones we should follow anytime we are at a bead show...but not sure following the tips would happen for me! I've never been able to attend a large bead show...the first time I'm able to I know tip #1 will be blown in no time!!! :0)

Cheers

Beatnheart said...

Enjoy it!! Lucky you and all the best with sales...

Barbara Lewis said...

Great advice! Sounds like the voice of experience! Good luck with your booth.

Eve said...

I look forward to seeing your photos pretty soon.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I sure would love to have this kind of problem but there are no major bead shows anywhere near me. Flying is not an option.

Jennifer Cameron said...

Budget? What is a budget? LOL! I need someone to come with me, but the persons best able to rein me in are staying home. Bwahaha!

Anonymous said...

looking forward to meeting you :)

Anonymous said...

looking forward to meeting you :)

Alice said...

I've never attended a really large bead show. I'd probably be in trouble since even at a small shop I have trouble keeping my bead lust in check. I'd have to bring my dad with me since he knows how NOT to spend, and probably wouldn't be interested one iota in the beads, whereas my friends would be encouraging me to buy.

Thanks for the great tips!