Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I Heart Jewelry Tools: The Euro Power Punch


Lately, I've been doming, stamping and generally pounding metal. Often, I want to punch a hole. Awhile ago, I Heart Jewelry Tools reviewed a small Euro hole punch but sometimes you need a larger hole and that means a Euro POWER punch!

(Photo courtesy of Ornamentea.)

I have to admit I don't actually HAVE a Euro Power Punch yet but one is on its way as I write this. I can't wait until it arrives, though. I love hole punching pliers for the sheer convenience. Sometimes you only need to make one hole and taking out a pair of pliers to do it is just easier. In my experience, the hole will need a bit of sanding to clean it up.

Another good reason to use hole punching pliers is if you're hesitant to use power tools, pliers are a good alternative.


The Euro-Power Punch makes 7 different hole sizes and will punch metal up to 16 gauge. That will cover most metal that the average metalsmith uses. According to the Rings n Things website, "Adjustable throat allows you to place holes up to 2" from edge" giving you enough room to use on most jewelry sized metal blanks.


So, if you're looking for a quick way to punch some larger holes in metal or metal blanks, you might want to pick one of these up!

Available from:

Rings n Things

Fundamentals.net

Ornamentea

9 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

Thanks for sharing that, Cindy. I had heard of this tool but never seen it reviewed or in action. That sounds great. I have a little screw punch type that I love to use but only makes two sizes. I have also found that a scrapbooking tool called the Cropadile works to make some slightly larger holes. But I like how you could make the holes part of the design element with this thing. Enjoy the day! Erin

Evie's Tool Emporium said...

Looks like a great tool and I love the t-shirt!
Michelle-

susanc said...

Looks like a very handy tool! In the one photo, however, some of the holes don't look exactly round. That concerns me a bit.

Unknown said...

I'm w/ you. sista, metal hole punches are great! I won my first one in a blog giveaway, & my monster hole punch is now on its way via etsy!

Christine said...

Oh my gosh, I think I might need one of those...not that I didn't have enough tools on my wish list already! :)

Azure Accessories said...

I think that is a great tool...definitly should have one!!!
Cheers

Anonymous said...

I was so excited when I discovered my local bead shop had a couple of these in the store. Even better, they had one to play with. I absolutely love it and currently have one in my studio.

I was worried about the how the holes don't look round too, but they punch out just fine.

My other concern was how much force you would need to punch through the metal. It actually cuts through without feeling like you need Superman on hand. I was playing with 26g, so I can't say how 16g would work.

My biggest difficulty was with changing out the bits. The bottom one is easy with the key, but the top one takes a bit of maneuvering. I think with practice, it'll come fairly easily, but you might have to exercise a bit of thought when punching holes. It's not going to be a quick switch.

I found that the holes did not seem to need a lot of sanding. The punch is pretty clean. I'm sure that with wear, that may change, but the first few punches I made were great.

Overall, this is an excellent tool and totally worth the price! Any metal worker must have this one hanging around!

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor said...

This tool is making me drool! It was nice to read what wildvanilla said since my concerns were the same. Now I want one Real Bad!!

Vasto Lorde said...

good information you provided for
jewelers tools..nice t-shirt.