Saturday, January 31, 2009

Studio Saturday-Out on a limb

Welcome to Studio Saturday! Each week one of our contributors gives you a sneak peek into their studio, creative process or inspirations. We ask a related question of our readers and hope you'll leave comments! As an incentive we offer a free prize each week to bribe you to use that keyboard. The following week we choose a random winner. Last weeks winner is Elaine Robitaille. Congratulations! You have won a mystery bead or button from Jennifer at Jangles. Send us an e-mail with your address and we will get it right out to you.

I went out on limb and created the tool shown above. This suggestion came from another vendor at a Wool Festival.
I know you are thinking, this woman's a nut job (true most days), that's a tool? This is an Orifice Hook for spinners (not the bike spinners). I photographed the hook on wool roving.

He's an explanation of what this tool does: Orifice hooks are used to thread the leader from the bobbin through the orifice on the flyer of the spinning wheel. Most wheels come with a fairly utilitarian hook, but spinners can choose from a wide range of handcrafted hooks.

I did a search for Orifice hooks and was so suprized at what is out there! Woodturned hooks, Lampworked beads and of course clay. Do a search and see what you come up with, especially on Etsy.
This is something different and fun to make with your art beads. There are collectors out there!

During my search I found this neat book on spinning.
I am trying to learn all the terminology of knitting and spinning for my customers. Wool roving was one I learned and bought lots of, because my daughter learned how to needle felt. It was so amusing watching my daughter and her 2 friends think it is so cool learning how to needle felt. It's good clean fun that requires no electricity! They were so funny to watch. A very talented, patient and equally amused woman (Esther Bechler) taught the girls.

My question for this Studio Saturday is:

What have you gone out on a limb and tried?
Was it a success, a failure or a one time deal?


Share your stories or just leave a comment. I would like to have others sitting out there on a limb with me!

Mine was a success and I will be making more for future Wool Festivals. Now off to make a Diz! Huh?

This weeks prize is two Swirl Heart Buttons in Rose. Just in time for Valentines Day!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

One attempt I have made was making an "extra hand" to help when soldering. Being fairly new to the whole process, I thought it would be very simple to create a user friendly type of clamp that would solve my lack of hands and cushion my work at the same time. Just when I thought I had it and was soldering away in my happy state, the so-called hand became an amputee and I barely missed a good burning!! Try...try.....again!!

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Most of my beads are experiments of some sort. Some I give up on right away and others lead to more knowledge, more experimentation and eventually success. It's always a journey.

Anonymous said...

I'm almost afraid to tell this story,but it's true,and it isn't over yet.For the first time in my life,I have enough confidence in myself and my abilities to go out on a limb and try something new,all by myself.I plan on opening a shop in Etsy,this March the first.I've never been able to complete a single thing in my life.I'm scared that I've jinxed myself,now.But maybe not,This may just be the final push and it's no going back !Wish me luck.

Anonymous said...

Metal Clay...Thank God you can rewet it and try try again. As you can tell it took me several tries before I finaly got a good piece. Now I have to make 4 more just like the first one that finaly came out good. It is what I called a real sweat job.

I am making this neckless for a contest. But I am not sure I will have it done by the due date at this rate. It took me 3 10 to 11 hour days to get one made the way I wanted it. How long do you think it will take me to make 4 more? Ha ha ha ha!!! I am not looking forward to it, plus I have a friend that wants me to teach them how to do metal clay on top of it all. Wish me luck, I think I will need it.

Tari of ClayButtons.com said...

I have tried many different things. Lots were a one time deal but I just had to do it and get it out of my system. Then I could say, Been there, done that, Got a T-shirt!

Anonymous said...

I love soldered glass pendants and wasn't sure I could do it but wanted to learn so I bought my tools and away I went ,well...after a few broken pieces I almost gave up but decided to stick to it because I really wanted to succeed and I thats what I did with the help of my husband and my friends I now know how to make these pretty pendants,so get out there and if you try thats half the battle and if you just keep at it you will succeed and it helps to have a great support group ! Be victorious ! Thanks for the giveaway ! dgibson@bak.rr.com

Katie said...

Metal clay...I took an intro class with my hubby last week, and my pendant came out kinda scary...He, on the other hand, sat down and (without a mold) made a silver shark tooth that looks awesome! I will try it again at some point, but, for now, will focus my money on some other types of projects - I will let him enjoy the spotlight on the metal clay medium :o)

Anonymous said...

2008 was a year with that - going out on a limb - as a theme. I did twice as many shows as any other year. I brought pieces that were completely different and 3 times my regular prices (and every single one sold, how gratifying).

This year, I move to a location where I will have the space to set up and the ability, for the first time, to really focus on my art. So we'll see how I do out on that limb.

gaela said...

I am going out on a limb with a project right now... Though a lifetime knitter, I've never knitted the lace patterns, I did the ones that used lots of colours. So, I just bought "French Girl Knits" by Kristeen Griffin-Grimes which has the most stunning clothes for spring, I'm now knitting my first lacy top...and I'm having sooo much fun. Fiber is an awesome art!

Tari of ClayButtons.com said...

Wonderful experiences! I love all of your stories and comments.
Elaine talked about doing more shows. I'm cutting back to fewer shows. No convention center shows this year for me. I'm trying to prevent burn-out which I'm really feeling right now. My hubby is so understanding and supportive. I really want to paint again and maybe do some more sculpture. I haven't had time to do either.

Lucky Designs Jewelry said...

I have gone out on a limb by starting my Etsy Shop and going to more craft shows. It has been hard, but I knew the first year or 2 would be. It has been fun trying to find the best fit. I am also in the process of getting a blog together to promote my work and the work of others. My latest projects have been in learning to carve molds and cast in pewter! My mold has almost gotten broken twice...

Anonymous said...

I went out on a limb and chose to do a beadweave that I was totally unfamiliar with. The limb?...I was going to give it as a present to my sister, and I only had one day until Christmas!! It turned out beautifully, my sister loved it, and I even made another like it for my other sister. I'm so glad I tried something new.