Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Fit to Print Review: 101 Bracelets, Necklaces and Earrings


I picked this magzine up the other day and have been pouring over it during my lunch breaks.  I dissect each project, discovering the surprising ways the contributors kept 101 designs fresh, beautiful and innovative.  If you love Stringing magazine, you'll want to pick up this issue.  The projects are strung or simple wire-work and bursting with creativity.

There are 3 awesome features including a primer on what makes a successful bracelet, the tricks of layering necklaces and an easy way to knot pearls.  And dear reader, after seeing Danielle Fox's 'Bunny Love' bracelet you will have an inexplicable desire to knot pearls!  Gaea Cannaday has a great project that takes you through the steps of creating a natural patina on copper. And you can learn how to make a handmade sterling silver chain bracelet from Janice Berkebile.

I should mention there are only 3 earring projects.  My favorite part of the magazine - they are heavy on the art beads and showcase the work of a wide range of talented beadmakers.

I encourage you to look at your favorite projects, study them as a lesson and take this short quiz:

1. What is the first thing I notice about this design?

2. Break down the color combination - could I use this in my own work?

3. Are there any usual design elements that were utilized?  (I noticed jump rings used as spacers and seed beads used as a decorative ring to end a bracelet)

4. Is there anything usual about the clasp or how the focal bead is attached?

5. How can I use this inspiration to create something original?

3 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

Well, that looks like a good one!
Those questions are ones that I am going to print out and have on my work table. They are a good exercise in 'making it your own' when you peruse the latest magazines, books and online publications for ideas. That way you are honoring the artist that created the piece and unleashing your own inner designer to come up with something that is uniquely you!
Thanks for sharing that, Heather!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Islandgirl said...

Guess this is another magazine that will have to be added to my collection. I'm taking a break from trying to write a book review for this months Sateam blog Carnival...
My review is all about trying to make things uniquely mine.

Thanks for the great review and I agree the questions are worth printing and posting for inspiration!

Lynne aka Islandgirl

SummersStudio said...

Heather, once again you have come up with an incredibly inspiring way to look at things. Like Erin, I think I will print out a copy of your questions and keep them handy while look at design. Thank you so much.