Thursday, May 26, 2011

Memory Wire Cuff Bracelets - Free Project

Want a fast, easy, affordable and completely trendy item for your summer shows?  Pull out that spool of memory wire that you have stashed away in your supplies and create some fun memory wire bracelets.  Here is an updated version of one of the simplest designs you can whip up. 

What you'll need:
Memory Wire - 3-5 loops depending on how big you want the cuff
Seed Beads - I used 4x2mm peanut seed beads and 11/0 copper seed beads
Decorative headpin - Humblebeads
Pewter charm - Green Girl Studios
3 7.5mm copper jump rings

Tools:
Round and chain nose pliers,  heavy duty wire cutters or memory wire cutters and a Spin-N-Bead bead spinner.

Directions:
1. Form a loop on one end of the memory wire. Use the chain nose pliers to press the end of the loop, so that it is completely flush - you don't want your charms falling off!
2. Add the seed beads to the bead spinner and position the end of the wire to catch the beads as they spin around. (Watch the video below and use the end of the memory wire instead of the needle.)  You should be able to bead the bracelet within a few minutes.
3. Add on your charms to the end of the wires with the jump rings or by opening and closing the loop.  For the headpin, I created a wrapped loop and kept wrapping the extra wire to create that entwined texture. 
4. Add the 3 peanut beads to a jump ring and attach to the loop.  Repeat.

Peanut seed beads can be found at WhimBeads.com, FusionBeads.com or BelloModo.com.

A design alternative using a tiny nest charm, Vintaj brass bird and 3 amazonite rondelles.

Word of caution: Don't use your good flush cutters to cut memory wire - memory wire is harder than normal wire and will destroy them.  Use an old pair of heavy duty hardware wire cutters or pick up a memory wire cutters.

What the heck is a bead spinner?  This is!  Watch the video below to see how it works.  If you hated working with seed beads before because stringing them is so time consuming - well you are just going to love me for sharing this handy little tool.  It took just a few minutes to whip up the bracelets using the Spin-n-Bead from Beadalon.  You can find them at craft stores or online bead shops.

20 comments:

VS said...

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR YOUR FUN TUTORIAL...I TOO AM GUILTY OF NOT WANTING TO WORK WITH SEED BEADS BECAUSE THEY TAKE SO LONG TO STRING. I HAD NEVER SEEN THE BEAD SPINNER, VERY COOL & THIS WAS A FUN TUTORIAL...THANKS FRIEND!!! & SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS, GEEZE, I GOT ABOT 1/2 THROUGH BEFORE I LOOKED UP...LOL
SMILES,
SUSIE

somethingunique said...

Hi Heather, what cute ideas and don't u just love those bead spinners!!

Reaction Designer Jewelry + Accessories said...

those are so pretty, I love memory wire!

Andrew Thornton said...

The first time I saw a bead spinner working, I thought it was witchcraft. I was that amazed. What would have normally taken hours and hours to string up took minutes!!!

Therese's Treasures said...

Cute Memory wire bracelets I'm going to have to give this a try.

Beth Hikes said...

I've always avoided memory wire, but you've managed to make this material into something both fun and elegant! Also, than you for the Spin-n-Bead video. I've always wondered how that worked :) xoxo Beth

Klassy Joolz said...

Every cute bracelets! Spinner could be a good thing...

lynsey said...

thank you for the inspiration Heather, i keep wondering what to do with my stash of memory wire :-)

sandi m said...

Great tutorial Heather.
I started making these few months ago and found them so much fun to make.
They're also great with larger Czech beads, too.
Funny how after making jewelry for several years I never wanted to use memory wire and now I love it!

Linda Landig said...

I have one of these bead spinners, but have never used it. With this great tutorial, maybe now I'll be inspired to give it a spin!

Unknown said...

I love this project! Thank you for sharing sources for the peanut seed beads, they are so lovely and unusual.

blackdovey said...

Hi there! I love your tutorial, especially the vid about using the bead spinner. One question however, how do you use the bead spinner with memory wire? I can't see myself threading memory wire through the curved needle..

Heather Powers said...

I used the memory wire instead of the curved needle. It has a natural curve and you'll just hold the wire to catch the beads.

Spirited Earth said...

love your memory wire bracelets..thanks for sharing the bead spinner tip..it's amazing.

Jewelie Dee said...

Particularly like the blue one. The bead spinner takes some practice.

Jewelie Dee
www.anearringaweek.wordpress.com

Cece Cormier said...

Thanks for sharing the tutorial. Great bracelets. I can see that I may need yet another tool with that spinner ;)

Unknown said...

I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your site and this post. Very stylish bracelets and I love your cute bracelets! Spinner
Oakland bead store

Unknown said...

I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your site and this post. Very stylish bracelets and cute bracelets! Spinner.
Oakland bead store

Unknown said...

It is really interesting to know that we can bead with a spin n bead beader. I enjoy visiting your site.
Uma

Unknown said...

It is really interesting to note that we can bead with the spin n bead beader. I enjoy visiting your site and learn something new everytime