Saturday, August 25, 2007

A Tomato Cage and Me...Alternative Uses for Art Beads

I've been staring at an old tomato cage for a few months. It looked like a tree, it was asking me to make something from it. I had to think, though. I'm a rabid recycler but my weakness is that I ALWAYS think I can re-use something - even when it's broken beyond repair. But this tomato cage wouldn't let me send it to the curb. I finally figured out what it wanted to be - a beaded garden sculpture! I've been keeping those pretty beads that weren't saleable in a bowl in the studio. No one is allowed to take them - well, ok, maybe I've let a few kids take them - but they're just not up to the standards I have for saleable items. They're little pieces of art, though, and I just couldn't bear to put them into the glass garbage.

I think the beads whispered to the tomato cage - "let's work together." I know, I know, the beads don't talk and neither does the tomato cage, but sometimes art does have a way of speaking to us. Does it speak to you?

9 comments:

Andrew Thornton said...

That's really cool! Have you seen the movie Bee Season? It reminds me of a "sculpture" in it. But your's is way more colorful.

melanie brooks said...

What a great idea Cindy! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

That is so pretty. Thank you for sharing!

Sooz said...

What a fantastic idea! A great way to bring a bit of art into the garden.

Anonymous said...

LOVE it! My tomato cages are wrapped in green garland and Christmas lights for Christmas decorations, but I like yours MUCH better.

Leslie Todd said...

That's such a great idea. I have this wire teapot in the garden that would look good with some sparklies on it.

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Oh my! I didn't think a silly little thing like my beaded tomato cage would get people talking! I'm so happy that it did!! Thank you for the nice compliments!

Tari of ClayButtons.com said...

That is great Cindy! I love it!
I have a pottery graveyard in my front yard. It's where all the chipped, broken or misfired pottery goes to live amongst nature. Current nature is weeds :)

Anonymous said...

you spelled "jewelry" wrong. There is only one "L" and two "E"s.