Thursday, July 31, 2008

ABS Editor Cindy Gimbrone Goes Red Hot Crazy!


I've gone crazy. That's the only way to explain it.
That or the heat got to me.
Fried my frontal lobes so I couldn't reason properly.

Seemed like a good idea when I volunteered. Panic started to set in. How was I going to do two projects? I started to surf the 'net to avoid the whole situation. Ah but nothing like another blog to help you out!

Enter Deryn Mentock's Something Sublime and her Jewelry Challenge using Mary Hettmansperger's new book, Wrap, Stitch, Fold & Rivet. I loved Mary's first book and this one is even better! I bought it immediately and decided I had to do "Project 3: Bead Shelf Necklace."



It was perfect for a phrase that's been running through my head lately,

what lies beneath

I wanted to show a little scene where on the surface it looked one way yet under the shelf or beneath it, you'd see something different. I wanted to keep the copper, antiqued and verdigris colors so I incorporated my flameworked glass beads and spirals in copper green, gaia and opal yellow. The spirals represent those things or situations in our lives that haven't been worked out and keep coming back to us - like in a spiral. I've left a hole on the shelf empty as if it's a hole in the ground, a way for those above to look in and see if they can see what's there.





The completed project is supposed to be a necklace but I wanted this to hang on my wall. Perfect for Ornament Thursday, a small wall ornament.

Let's see what the other Ornament Thursday Girls have created for this month...
Art Bead Scene
ABS Editor Cindy Gimbrone Goes Red Hot Crazy!

Beading Help Web is RED HOT!
Lynn Kvigne takes up the torch and shows you how to make a toe ring using fine silver.

Cindy Gimbrone aka Lampwork Diva
Trendy, Popular and Red Hot!

It's Red Hot July in Arizona!
Lisa finally finishes a project from over a year ago. Check out this "hot" take on a changeable necklace.

Katie's Bead Blog
Check out Katie's Red Hot faux coral necklace! It's a punch of color with a summery feel.

Linda Ausburg at BeadStyle Magazine
Linda shares a red-hot card she created.

Michelle is RED HOT!
Well, really, Margot is...

Savvy Crafter
Hotsie Totsie Plexi-glass Flower pendant over on Candie's blog!

Strands of Beads
The heat is rising, and Melissa is making a Red Hot Firecracker necklace!

Swell Designer a.k.a. Alexa Westerfield
The Swelldesigner gets red hot with a Hunka Hunka Burner Necklace!

Too Red Hot
Our own Michelle Zimmerman has been hard at work this month sculpting a devil of a project for your enjoyment.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your bead shelf, Cindy! Wasn't this a fun project?

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Hi Deryn,

We crossed comments, I just commented and posted this on your blog! LOL! Yes, it was a great project, I fell in love with it when I saw it. I love the look of copper and this all fell together easily. Thanks for stopping by to comment!

Happy Ornament Thursday!
Cindy

Beading Help Web Editorial Team said...

What a fun project! I love the way you've used many of my favorite components - copper, stamping, and of course beads!

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Thanks, Beading help team :-) Despite the fact I'm a beadmaker, I love stamping too! Nothing gets out stress better than hammering some metal and stamping the heck out of it! LOL!

Happy OT!
Cindy

Carlene said...

All I can say is WOW! Can a mere mortal make that? What a great piece!

Gaea said...

Awesome!

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Thanks, Carlene! Yep you can do it too! Mary's book is awesome and you won't believe how do-able the projects are. It was so much fun, I'm working on another project from the book! Whoo Hoo!

Happy Ornament Thursday!
Cindy

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Thanks, Gaea! It's pretty cool if I do say so myself :-)

Cindy

beautifullybrokenme said...

I love your take on this piece - your thought process behind the design makes it even more interesting, and the handmade beads are beautiful. Welcome to the challenge!

Molly

angelinabeadalina said...

What Lies Beneath is a beautiful piece of art, Cindy...one of those that brings joy just by catching a glimpse of it.

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Thanks for the comment, Molly. I love what everyone is doing with the projects - all from the same model but yet all so different. It's a great creative challenge!

Cindy

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Thanks, Angela! Glad you like it - it's a very cathartic piece for me. Happy it brings others joy.

Happy Ornament Thursday!
Cindy

Beth Hikes said...

I love your theme "What lies beneath." I think this piece really captures that idea perfectly -- the underside, secret places, meaning behind the meaning, etc. I'll have to check this book out! Thanks!

Joan Tucker said...

Cindy, I love the shelf and your version of it. I like the possibilities of story telling with it;cherished illusion; loves lost and found; trip pendant; birthday; in memory.. all would be possible with word dangles, meaningful beads and gemstones, and names. It so truly a starting place for endless variations. Thanks for getting it out to us. Joan Tucker, Off Center Productions

Melissa J. Lee said...

Oooh, I love it!!! I haven't read that book yet, too, so thank you for the tip!

Lisa said...

Wow, Cindy...I love this piece....lots of great visual things going on. I can see it on a wall to enjoy more than on your neck. :)

Fanciful Expressions said...

Cindy,
Great job on the shelf piece. I love the beads that you did. Can't wait to see more.

Diane said...

Cindy~What a great idea, and a fresh take on the project! I luv your colors, and your work!

Katie Hacker said...

What a cool take on that project, Cindy. I bet Mary Hetts would love to see it!

Deborah Truesdell said...

Cindy,

What a fun and whimsical piece this is! I can imagine that each time you pass by it on your wall it is making you smile! Thanks for the good idea, I think I may just have to make one for a little nook in my home, too!

Anonymous said...

Great job i love it! very useful tip

Michelle McGee said...

This is so totally cool!!!

Chris said...

Cindy!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE your version of the shelf pendant~~~the message that you stamped into the metal and the selection and placement of the beads....WOW!!!!

And I'm grinning like a nut after seeing the watermelon beads~~what a fun time you have here! I'll be back. :-)

Kerry Conley said...

You're going crazy all right! I love that. When you have an original idea to begin with and it suddenly turns into a completely different project as you go along just shows that inner creative aspect that you wouldn't otherwise see. Awesome! I enjoy brilliant accidents, they've practically formed the useful part of our society! Keep being (if even unintentionally - it's really not) creative.