Friday, July 11, 2008

The Trendy Bead - Eastern Influences

This week on the Trendy Bead I'm sharing some of my favorite Eastern inspired art beads paired with a mixture of semi-precious stones and metal pendants from Etsy and my favorite bead shops.

There is always a bit of a world-beat in trendy designs, but I have a feeling we'll see more of these motifs as China comes to the world stage this summer during the Olympics. I wish I had each one of these beads in my studio today!


To start off we have some raku frit lampwork lentils from Skaramouche. I'm love to see them paired together with Gaea's ceramic lantern and a collection of old coins from Kathydkeith. Wouldn't these make a beautiful charm bracelet with a nice chunky brass chain?


While scouting around on Cindy Gimbrone's site I spotted her Hollow Olive Bead Set and immediately it reminded me of bamboo. I'd pair it with a Vintaj Asian Window Pendant from Bello Modo used as a toggle clasp and some rich faceted olive jade from Beading to repeat the shape of the focal bead.

I was never much of a pink person until I discovered cherry blossoms. Did you know they are a symbol for hope? I'd use a pair of my long Cherry Blossom beads with this fine silver Cherry Blossom Pendant from Prolifique. To add in some texture, I reach for my trusty stash of wood beads. I like the soothing shape of these tiger ebony from EandEBungalow.

Lotus flowers, by far my top pick for floral themes. I love this one by Creative Impressions in Clay. Remember Tari can make her buttons in a variety of configurations. You can have one made with one hole in the top and use it as a pendant or she can add a metal loop. And what a perfect compliment, check out this Lotus Blossom pendant from Green Girl Studios. Amazonite is an easy choice for this collection, here are some chunky nuggets from Gemstonesupplies.


Our last set features an awesome polymer clay and wire Endless Loop pendant from Expedition D. Wouldn't these faceted carnelian briolettes from AngryBunny add just the right amount of shine and color for the focal beads. I'd definitely play up the rustic metal look with a large looped gunmetal chain from Theodoras2007.

Don't forget today is the last day to enter to win a free bead from our Saturday Saturday drawing! I talk about trends and faux bois, so join the discussion. I'd say the general feeling is that trends are nice to keep on top of. They help to keep our jewelry current and fresh, but no one wants to be a slave to fashion. We like balance, creativity and self-expression!

3 comments:

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Here is my favorite post at ABS - The Trendy Bead! YAY! Love all the combinations you come up with Heather. They are right on the mark with style and trends. Love it!

Cindy

gaela said...

I really enjoyed this article. These items are definitely my taste. It's also nice that you include the places to find these items as I am not familiar with a couple of the artists Thanks!

Lori said...

Those are all so gorgeous. I rally love eastern and ethnic inspired jewelry. Or almost anything in that style really. :9