Friday, July 4, 2008

Independence Day

Hi all! And thank you to Humblebeads Heather for the guest editor invitation!

In honor of Independence Day, I thought it would be good to talk a little bit about Independence as a bead artist and designer. It wasn't so many years ago that I was working full time at a job that gave me many of the skills I needed to branch out as an "independent" artist. As art director of a magazine I learned about design and page layout, photoshop, and even a bit about photography. Making jewelry as a hobby was a fun side thing and I would eventually nudge myself a bit more into a side income situation .
Unfortunately, As the economy changed, It was more of a shove into the cold hard reality that my day job with it's luxury of insurance and regular pay would no longer exist. This was a scary thought, one that many are facing right now. As the reality of our family's situation came into focus, I also realized that I had a golden opportunity... to do what I loved! It isn't always easy with late night working hours, fumbling with how to "be" a business, working with the whims of the economy and balancing family time while working from home. But it is always an adventure!
Independence is something I cherish. So, if you are faced with a decision, that perhaps you were not ready for, I urge you to look a little closer. The water may not be that deep, take the plunge! Or at least dip your toe in, what's the worst that could happen?

Here are are a few bead and jewelry designs from some "independent" artists. Enjoy!

Jewelry and pendant designer Caitriona Meek

Ceramic beads from Earthenwood Studio

Lorelei

Creeky Beads UK

Creative Impressions In Clay

Written by guest editor, Gaea. You can read Gaea's blog http://gaeabeads.blogspot.com and see her art beads and jewelry at www.gaea.cc.

6 comments:

Lorelei Eurto said...

;) thank you for featuring my work in your post! Congrats on being a July editor! I look forward to reading all of your posts this month! You have a real knack for writing! :)
I wouldn't be the independent artist that I am, without the love and support and inspiration from you and all of my beady online friends!

Anonymous said...

Gaea, I really enjoyed your post; personal and interesting writing.
I have admired your work since I started making porcelain and sense your independence. At Off Center Productions we aim to make one of kind pieces and to follow our hearts. That for us is the spirit of the 4th,
be true and live with the consequences. Joan Tucker, Off Center Productions

Joelle said...

Yay Gaea! Lovely post. Can't wait to read the rest.

Gaea said...

Thanks for reading guys! It's nice to know I'm not just talkin' to myself! Happy 4th! Get out there and eat some water mellon and see some fireworks!

Cindy Gimbrone said...

All of the Editors on ABS are happy to have you guest editing, Gaea! Welcome aboard! :-)

I'm so glad you were able to follow your love and work full time as an artist. There's nothing better than creating your own work and the space to do it in.

Look forward to reading your thoughtful posts.

Cindy

barbe said...

oh my gosh I am in LOVE with Earthenwood Studios beads! SWOON!