Friday, July 18, 2008

The Trendy Bead - Design Trends

1. Asymmetry
"When designs are a little off, not perfectly symmetrical, it catches your eye and gives the piece a more modern, updated look." -Lindsay Burke, Fusion Beads
2. Clasp Creativity
"I'm seeing parts of toggles used in earrings, clasps made of seed beads, and clasps used in the front of a necklace as the focal piece." -Beth Garbo, You've Got To Be Beading
3. Found Objects
"People are incorporating a lot of found objects, like old keys, into their jewelry." -Jess Italia-Lincoln, Galena Beads "Serving Creativity"

The Venerable Bead

4. Mixed Metals
"Silver, gold, gunmetal, and copper are all very popular right now, and people aren't afraid to use them together." -Lindsay Burke, Fusion Beads


Lynn Davis

5. Material Juxtaposition
"People are putting plastic with chain with fiber - things you might at first think don't go together." -Heather Desimone, The Beadin' Path

Sand Fibers


2008 Trend Report by Danielle Fox, reprinted with permission from Beads 2008, copyright Interweave Press.

If you haven't already picked up your copy of Beads 2008, it's still in stores. It's a great resource for supplies, creativity and more!

9 comments:

Carol Dean Sharpe said...

What fun! Thank you for featuring this cuff, which uses one of Lisa Peters' buttons, leather, ribbon yarn, pearls, seed beads, rayon embroidery floss, batik fabric that has been stamped with a stamp made from another Lisa Peters button, rayon embroidery thread, and interfacing...mixed materials indeed! :D

GrandmaMarilyn said...

Interesting pieces picked for each category.

SarahKelley said...

I love your picks to illustrate the article:) I love the way SandFibers uses handmade focals to enhance her fabulous work!

MyFairLadyVT4 said...

This is soooo beautiful. My favorite colors.

Anonymous said...

Loved this post. Great reporting on bead trends. All works of art, very current and on point. My personal favorite is the last image, it's speckled with seed beads, and that's my main medium.

Swanee said...

I am not only fascinated by the mixture of metals and colors, I am absolutely fascinated by the mixture of items incorporated into the jewelry. I REALLY need to jump outside of my high-walled box!

Unknown said...

great article and beautiful current pieces! i especially LOVE the SandFibers' cuff! gorgeous!

barbe said...

great article. I never keep up with trends, because I don't want to be too influence by it. I do think I should pay more attention to it, now that creating IS my only form of income. And its really great to see my 'style' is trendy at that moment, so I should be doing more marketing.

Dave Robertson said...

Thanks for this post. We're always glad to see awareness of bead trends! You provide a nice resource for that.

--Dave
at Rings & Things